位置:第四周 -> 第四周视频解说词

第四周视频5

发布人:王卫肖发布时间:2014-05-12 11:55:28

 

So one of the clear findings from our research on innovation is that every organization has clear capabilities,因此在我们的这次改革的调查研究中发现每一个组织都有各自清晰地职能 but understanding those capabilities also helps you see what an organization's limitations are.但是理解那些职能还可以帮助你理解每种组织的局限性That is an existing organization may no be able to do the new things that you're trying to setout to do.更确切地说现有的组织或许不能够去做你现在想要做的事情

>> So what I hear you saying is to do really complicated, new prototyping may be easier if you're actually a start up starting from scratch.所以,我想听到你说的是,去做一些复杂的但却是原创的或许会更加容易

>> That's exactly right, and I actually think that a lot of you may be starting to see this.很准确,事实上我在想: 你们中的许多都开始发现这一点。

That if you are trying to do blended learning in a brand new classroom or school, it's probably a lot easier to start to strike that innovation. 如果你尝试在学校或教室学习混合式学习,开始这种创新就简单多了。

But if you are trying to do this within an existing classroom or an existing school, there are more constraints. 如果在现有的教室或学校里进行会有更多的强制性Legacy of resources, routines, priorities that might constrain you in innovating.遗产、常规、 优先权可能会限制您的改革和创新。

Let's explore these different circumstances for innovation in turn.让我们一起来探究这些改革中的环境。

>> Summit public schools has actually had the experience of starting schools absolutely from scratch, in a blended way.公立学校实际上在混合式学习的经验上,可以说是从零开始的。

And also trying to figure out how you convert existing schools.还要解决如何改变现有学校的问题。

And I've had this same realization in the school that I started.在我开办的这所学校里已经实现了这样的转变。

If you're starting from scratch you have all the variables under your control.如果你从头开始,你可以控制这些有变数的东西。

Who's on board, planning time.谁在职,谁可以计划时间。

In many ways you have green earth to begin with 从绿土颜料开始可以由许多种途径。

>> In our experience so far, new schools are a little bit easier in terms of

innovation.在我们现有的经验看来在新学校进行变革会更加简单。

Why?.为什么呢?

In our case, we're starting with a smaller group of students, a smaller group of faculty.万一,我们从一小部分学生开始,一小组教师开始。

It's a little bit tighter culture.是更严格的文化

And they generally have a little bit more runway to really think about what they're going to do and how they're going to do it before they launch.他们通常有更多一点的方式来考虑他们要做什么和在开始前怎么做

Because they're starting fresh.因为他们重新开始

Whereas in an existing school, no matter how well planned.然而在现有的学校中无论计划得多好

You know, there is a time frame between what you were doing and what you're about to do.你知道的,在正在做的和将要做的事情之间有一个时间框架

And your planning for that is a little bit clouded by sort of reflecting on and dealing with closing up what you've been doing.

the, our schools are a little bit bigger,the existing schools.在现有学校中,我们的学校有一点大。

There's more established practice there,哪里有跟多的惯例

there's a lot of tradition.哪里有许多的传统

and in our cases, the kids are a little bit more resistant to change, 在我们的案例中,我们的孩子有点小他们拒绝改变。

and certainly the parents are a little bit more resistant to change.当然家长也拒绝改变。

So you're not necessarily dealing with oh, 因此,你也不必处理

This brand new vision that everyone was attracted to and came in

to.这个具有吸引力正向我们迈进的全新的视野

You're trying to talk about this more as enhancements or improvements as opposed to this fresh new idea.您们想谈谈更多的增强或改进这样的想法。

Now, the assignments that you've been working through, 你一直努力

have actually been leading you through this process of prototyping and creating a new school or classroom from scratch.被引导着从零到有建立新的学校

And in week six, we're actually going to talk about this process a lot more.并且在第六周中,我们实际上将要讨论更多的这样的过程

But suffice to say right now, the key is basically start with the student experience you want to create.立刻有充足的把握来说,关键是要帮助学生拥有一些经验。

And then start to think about the culture, the technology, how you're actually going to structure the use of time for students and all of those other design considerations, and then start to test and learn and actually implement. 然后开始思考文化、技术和如何实际上分配学生所拥有的时间 其他应该考虑的事情,然后开始试验、学习和实行。

When we're talking about whole school redesign, we have to think about a whole different set of considerations.当我们开始谈论从新设计学校,我们要考虑到完全不同的思考

Because you have an existing model in place with resources, processes,

culture, priorities.因为已有现有的资源、程序、文化、优先权模型

That while actually huge assets in your current model might be liabilities as you move toward a new model.

>> And that said, almost all the kids in America are in existing schools.

We are not going to solve this problem just by building a million new schools all across the world.并说,差不多所有的孩子在美国现有的学校中。我们并不打算通过在全世界建百万个学校来解决这个问题。

So, when you think about converting an existing school to very big new models,因此,当你考虑为一种新的模式建立一所学校的时候

we'd suggest four big ideas to keep in mind.我们建议要牢记四大理念。

First, who do you need to have involved in the process, and how do you want them to be involved?首先,在进行中你需要有谁参与

Second, how do you get their buy in?第二,你如何使他们买进。

Third, how do you make this part of their everyday job, that they see this innovative process as core to who they are?第三,你如何使这一部分成为他们每一天的工作,看到这个创新过程的核心人是谁?

And fourth, what do you do with the naysayers?第四,如何对待爱唱反调的人?

>> So what our research and innovation has shown us is that the level of change that you're trying to make determines the type of team or who you

Need to actually have on the board to make that change.因此,我们的研究和改革展示给我们的是改变你的努力水平决定了需要在董事会做出的改变团队的类型

 

 

So, if you're operating within schools, and you're just trying to change something within a given grade or a given classroom, the right type of team to have on board is what we call a functional team. 如果已经在学校内实施,就可以在所教的年级或班级中进行变革

And a functional team is basically just made up of the members within a given department or a particular grade level.一个功能团队基本上由在一个给定的部门或一个特定的等级水平的成员组成。

So if the kindergarten teachers make up one functional team.因此,如果这个功能团队由一个幼儿园教师团队组成。

And foreign languages might make up another one. 外国老师可能会组成另一个团队。

And this type of team is all you need when you're just trying to change within a given classroom or grade band and it doesn't impact any other parts of the schools.这种类型的团队正是你在试图在一个班级或一个年级进行改革时所需要的,并且不会影响到学校的其他年级。

So the change is basically contained within that unit. 这样的变化基本上是在所改革部分的范围内进行的。

So if you're simply flipping a classroom or moving to a station rotation, then a functional team is the way to go.如果你只是翻转课堂那么功能团队就是要走的路

And this is exactly what Riverside Unified School District is doing in their middle schools right now. 这正是滨江学区在他们的中学所做的。

>> They've blended at this point.他们在这方面已经进行了混合式学习

Is that again these go from probably kindergarten through the twelfth grade.

But they're largely teacher initiated and dependent.他们很大程度上依靠老师发起。

In other words, they use that as a tool and a strategy in a classroom,

not because, as a district we've compelled them to use it in a particular way.换句话说,他们把混合式学习作为工具和策略在教室中应用。不只是因为我们在一定的区域内强迫他们用特殊的方法使用。

We count on our teachers to be teachers.我们改革所依靠的是我们的老师。

And so, it's not that we compel anybody to do this but in fact, we say, if you would like to do it, we'll provide devices.因此,我们并不强迫任何人去做,而事实上,如果任何人想要实施,我们的会提供设备或者方案。

We'll provide support. We'll provide training. All the things that you might want.我们给与支持,我们将会提供培训。提供所有你想要的。

But as a teacher, this is one more instructional tool.但是作为一个老师,这是一个教学工具。

And because it's in the hands of teachers.因为这是老师的手。

They actually get extraordinarily creative about it, and things that we would never dream up, they've dreamt up and put in place.他们会非常有创造力,我们不会凭空想出,他们是把想象出的努力实现。

And then there's an organic sharing that happens between teachers,在老师们之间会有一个组织间的共享。

because, I guess my view is that, teachers are fairly idealistic.我的观点是: 我们的老师较为理想。

They want to get it right for their kids.他们想让学生回答正确

And so if the teacher next door is making something happen and it works

well for them they say, how can I do that too. How can I replicate that?

如果隔壁老师正在运用一些方法而且运用的很好,对其他老师来说如何效仿呢?

We've always had some amount of sharing where I'll do the math and the science, you do the English, social studies.就算我教的是数学和科学而你教的是英语和社会科学,我们总是有一定量的共享。

So as we're thinking about redesigning schools beyond just a classroom level, that's going to take a different kind of team.我们正在试图超越我们的班级设计一种不同的学校,那就要采取一种不同的团队型形式

>> That's exactly right.非常正确。

So when you're starting to coordinate from the classroom to other parts of

the school, you need what we call a lightweight team.当你开始从一个班到其他班级调整时,你需要一个轻量级的队伍。

And in a lightweight team the teachers still remain in their departments, 在一个轻量级的队伍中的老师仍然留在自己的学科,but there's basically a project manager on the other side that's coordinating the activity across these departments.另一方面,项目管理人要在这些部门中进行调整

You need to start coordinating across the school to make that work.你需要启动协调在学校的工作

Similarly, you might be implementing a station rotation,同样的你需要实现一些转变

and you have certain technology requirements, and so you need to coordinate with the IT staff to actually deliver those requirements for your classroom.你具有确定的技术条件,你还需要技术人员协调说明你的要求。

>> So the innovation is allowed to happen separately in different settings, and they need some coordination?变革在任何环境下都可以进行,同时需要协调

What if we want to redesign the whole school? 我们想重新设计整个学校

What if everybody wants to come together and have a big vision of new teaching style, new approaches to education?所有的人都来加入,就会有新视觉的教学风格和新的的教学方法

>> Yeah, so then you're starting to talk about really an unpredictable process, right ?你正在谈论不可预知的改革进程。

And so you actually what you need there is what we call a heavyweight team.我们实际上需要都是我们所指的非常重要的团队

The heavyweight team is where you actually take people out of their

traditional departments and you say, bring your expertise to the table, but

don't bring your loyalty to the department that you've always been in,

don't bring your loyalty to the way things have always been done.重要的 团队是你真的把他们从他们的传统部门中挑选出来,把你专家的经验拿出来,但是不要把传统的经验

And use your expertise to really redesign a new schooling model.运用你专家的经验重新建立你新的学校模式。

And the key thing about a heavyweight team is that you need to appoint a leader who everyone can say that when that person has signed off and we've made a decision as a group, we don't need to go back to all the other existing departments.建立一个重要团队关键点在于选出一个领导者,每个人都可以说的时候,那个人已经签署了我们已经作出了一个决定,作为一个群体,我们不需要去所有现有的其他部门。

And get them to sign off too. So we really have the autonomy that we need to rethink all of those things we've been talking about in this lesson.我们义务从新思考我们这节课所讲的内容。

>> So, as we think about nurturing change within our organizations, this isn't just a change management strategy for schools.我们考虑在我们的组织内孕育变革,这不只是一个改变学校管理的对策

The same thing is true in almost any setting.

And I was actually driving down to shoot this video today and I listened to a conversation between Clay Christensen at the Harvard。我是开车到今天的视频拍摄,我在美国哈佛大学听到了Clay Christensen的言论。

Business School and Dominic Barton who's the global manager for McKinsey Consulting.商业学校和麦肯锡 公司全球经理人多米尼克巴顿

 

And Dominic was talking about launching this new venture within McKinsey that was going to be start up and different.多米尼克正在谈论在麦肯锡公司发动一场新的与众不同的冒险。

And he was so deliberate in how he thought about who led it and how they protected it.他对于自己的想法感到很有把握,已是深思熟虑。

And I just want to read this to you so you get a sense of how he was thinking about this strategically. 并且 我想对你说这些来让你们理解对于这一战略的思考。

What I did, he said, was to put one of the most experienced and senior people in the firm, who's a close friend, and has been with the firm for 30 years.他说,我所做的是安排最有经验最年长的人在公司中。

He used to run our Americas group. I had him lead our McKinsey Solutions. 他用来运行我们的美洲组,我让他领导麦肯锡的解决方案。

And it was a bit of a new ventures group because I knew he would stimulate it and protect it. 这是一个新型创业小组,原因是

我知道他会刺激它,保护它。

Because it's different. So we needed a very strong leader to protect it, and to nourish it.因为它不同,因此我们需要一个有能力等领导来保护它。

And this is exactly how our school leaders that we've been talking to have been thinking about the change management process in their organization,

这正是我们所谈论的学校领导正在考虑在他们的组织中改变经营管理方式。

how they protect it, how they nourish it, and the role of the leader in this organization.在这个组织中的领导如何保护如何使他发展壮大呢。

This kind of heavyweight team that you've been talking about, Michael, is what makes blended learning so different than the past.我们所谈论的重要组织中,像迈克尔就是使混合式学习与以往不同。

You know, let's stick technology into classrooms.让我们把科技加入教室。.

We've already done IT in school. We get it.我们已经把IT技术加入了教室。

And I actually think this is a really important point.我认为这是非常重要的一点

When I say high quality blended learning,当我在讲高质量的混合式学习时,

it requires having the right people at the table who can truly redesign schools.它需要有能够重新设计学校的合适的人。

That's why in this movement, it's all about having the lead teachers there.这就是为什么我们需要骨干教师在这场改革中。

The principals there.

The assistant superintendents of instruction.教学助理总监

And the folks on the tech side of things who understand the logistics,对物流技术理解的人

because if we get them involved in really redesigning schools, then I think we might have a shot of actually getting this right.因为我们想使他们加入到重新设计学校中来。这个想法是正确的。

>> 

I think that's exactly correct.我认为这是绝对正确的。 And one more critical note about this.这需要我们格外注意这个。

The reason that these team structures matter is that if you're trying to

redesign a whole school, but you only have members from a functional team there.如果你想重新设计一个学校而需要一个工作小组,但是你仅有从功能团队中挑选成员。

You're just not going to get it right.你不可能得到它的权利

Similarly, if you're ambition is just to flip a classroom or something like that, and you try to bring a whole heavyweight team on the process, 同样的你的决心是建立一种全新的教室模式,而且在这过程中你想建立一个重量级团队you're going to make that process slow, burdensome, and bureaucratic. 你要让这个过程缓慢,沉重,和官僚